Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What It Takes These Days

The more conversations I have with "Christians", the more I learn about what it takes to be one these days. What does it mean to call yourself a Christian in the days of science and technology? Well, I've noticed two different types (the fundies being a standard and obvious third), and talking to them is what drives me to drink.

There are those who claim that they have no religion, or despise religion, and yet label themselves as Christian. These people hold to the ideals of a book or a legend and profess Christianity, but wouldn't say they are part of a religion. I got news for you folks: you are in a religion, morons! Maybe you don't like the way the institution is expressed or maybe you just mean to say that you don't like the organization. Hell, maybe you want to pick and choose from the Christian religion and form your own religion from it! Whatever the case is, the fact remains that Christianity is a religion. Eddy Goombah knows what to call you.

Then there are those who label themselves Christians, yet know little to nothing about the religion itself. It's amazing that somebody would profess to be a member of a group without first understanding that group's tenets. Yet I find Christians (and others, for that matter) proclaiming their religious membership without ever having read the manual or understanding what it even means.

Now that I think about it, I think it's a possibility that one group creates the other. "Hey, I'm gonna call myself a Nazi (because my family is Nazi), but I don't know a thing about them. I know they like to barbecue and play backgammon, so they're alright with me. Yep, I'm a Nazi! What's that? Do what? I don't hate Jews....I don't hate anybody. Yeah I'm a Nazi, but I don't practice all that other stuff! It's all about brotherly love for me!" Is that how it happens?

Happy Green Beer Day!


-STA

No comments:

Translate